The RMVR Formula Ford (FF) Race Group is now offering a vintage Winkelmann Formula Ford as a Scholarship Program to those interested in racing a FF with RMVR. This is an Arrive & Drive Program intended to increase the interest in racing with RMVR and, in particular, racing a Formula Ford.
This is a voluntary collective effort by RMVR FF racers. The car is donated for use in the Program. Through a collective effort, routine maintenance, tires, car storage, fuel for the weekend and transportation of the car to/from the track is all provided. Trackside support (mechanical and moral) is also a part of the Arrive & Drive Program. While the Arrive & Drive program is meant to remove as many barriers to trying vintage racing as possible, the scholarship recipient is still encouraged to “get their hands dirty” and help out with their weekend activities and preparation as much as possible.
To make this happen, an initial pool of money to kickstart the Program was created by a one-time voluntary contributions by RMVR FF racers.
Key aspects of this Arrive & Drive Program are:
- Those interested in the Scholarship must apply for the Program (see below).
- The car is available for the spring RMVR Drivers’ School weekend and up to 2 subsequent RMVR events (excluding the Race Against Kids’ Cancer and the Aspen Snowmass Vintage Grand Prix) to be mutually agreed upon to complete the licensing requirements. Other RMVR race weekends may be available, though not guaranteed.
- Preference will be given to applicants who intend to purchase an RMVR eligible FF or Club Ford (CF) and who wish to do the RMVR Drivers’ School plus two subsequent events during the year with the intent of getting an RMVR Competition License and/or to those who desire to race a FF with RMVR on an ongoing basis, but wish to first “try one on.”
- For the RMVR Drivers’ School, the Program is offered free as an Arrive & Drive weekend. However, the recipient must pay the RMVR Scholarship & Mentoring Program school entry fee (currently $450 which includes some additional benefits, application must be filled out and copies provided upon entry to the RMVR Drivers’ School), and have their own (or borrowed) racing gear. For racers new to open wheel cars, the car will also be made available for a required track lapping day (track fee paid for by the recipient) in the car prior to the Drivers’ School weekend.
- For subsequent race weekends the Arrive & Drive Program will cost a $500 Support Fee (paid into the FF Scholarship Program) and the regular RMVR race entry fee (and/or any desired track lapping day fees). Additionally, the driver will pay at the time of race entry, a $350 “deposit” refundable to the driver upon the purchase of an RMVR eligible FF or CF within 1 year of the Drivers’ School but forfeited if no car is purchased within that time frame.
- Necessary Liability & Damage Control stuff: See the waiver included with the application.
If driving a Formula car is not your thing, there are other Scholarship & Mentoring Programs available as well.